Saturday, January 7, 2012

Anxiety and other 'A' Things- AKA Fruit Basket Turnover

How often we think we have everything under control and God, in His mercy, continues to redirect and mold our life.  He redirects in a way that is really answer to prayer, but not how one is expecting.

That would be life at our house this week.

We took Joy-Bug to public school in order to enroll her.  See this post for background.  She was tested and came out below average for second grade.  You need to know she has been in third grade this year.  I knew she had learning issues, but this was somewhat confirming and somewhat saddening.  The principle wanted her to be in second grade.  But, after his explaining all the third grade pressure that would be on Joy-Bug next year (as in not passing a test would make her have to retake third grade), we knew we needed to regroup.  We can not have her two years behind her peers.

So, we came back and called the local Christian school.  You'll remember that we really liked it, but felt it would be too challenging for Joy-Bug.  Well, they met with us and put her in second grade- ADHD, anxiety and all.  She has two teachers and only SIX students in that class.  There is also pull-out tutoring for her to get her up to snuff.  And, to top it off, they gave me a coupon for half off tuition this spring!  So, God is obviously in that!  Joy-Bug brought her first folder home last night and had FIVE WORKSHEETS COMPLETED.  Dan and I cried tears of joy!

In the meantime, we were still not happy with the plan or lack of plan, for Kae-Kae and her completion of eighth grade and impending high school in eight months.  We have prayed diligently for three weeks and in the middle of the night, God gave us the answer.  We enrolled her in Morning Star Academy- an online school.  This means she will graduate from their school and be able to circumvent the state requirements for where we live.  They have a non-college track which just means she has to have Algebra I and Geometry, and NO FOREIGN LANGUAGE.  Kae-Kae tested and was below grade level on everything.  Even though this program is online, I know it is going to take me sitting knee-to-knee with her, which means we have to have a plan for my other two children.

Sooooo, we put them in Christian school, too.  About two weeks before Christmas break, Gracie-Girl stopped touching paper.  Yep!  That is right.  Which means, she will not cut, paste, color, handwrite, etc.  This is just too much for me to manage- child number three as special needs.  So, even though she was in homeschool as a first grader, she also tested low and will begin Kindergarten on Monday.

So, now that the fruit basket is turned over, I have a 7th, 2nd and Kindergartener.  Little Guy is the only one on grade level, which is K4.  We are also paying private school tuition for FOUR children.  And, I am only kind of a homeschooler- I will be helping Kae-Kae all day.  Little Guy will only be going to school for 2 days a week, but you can't really homeschool a four year old.  We will just play soccer and wiffle ball!

So, I am hanging up my hat as Homeschooling Heather for a while.  Maybe to return at another time, or ready for whatever new adventure the Lord brings, as Kae-Kae gets to where she can do more and more of her own school-work during the next six years.

Thanks for listening-
Heather


1 comment:

  1. I know this must have been a hard, hard decision -- because I've been there! It's been 2 1/2 years since we decided to put our oldest in Christian school so I had more time with the younger two (including one with special needs). And I think daily about whether we should put the youngest one in school too, so I could spend all my time with my son, who needs my time the most. Right now, I'm trying to hold off until 6th or 7th to put her in school, but we'll see where God leads us.

    While paying tuition for 4 does sound daunting, it really does sound like God has blessed you in these changes. So hang in there and keeping trusting in the Him -- He will give you all (and more) than you need.

    And please let us know how Morning Star Academy goes. I'm wondering what we'll do for high school with my son, since he will be behind as well once he gets that age.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails