Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Outdoor Challenge, Sweet Gum


Today we studied "our" tree for 2011, a Sweet Gum in our yard.


See the oblong green gum balls just growing?

On pg 626 of Handbook of Nature Study, there is a very fuzzy math problem for finding the height of the tree.  But, I perservered, and figured that it is about 44 feet tall.  The circumference is 8.12 inches (if I did the word problem right).



We also did the Spring Scavenger Hunt that Barb's daughter created, here.  It was FUN, FUN, FUN!  I am going to make one for each season, if she has not already beat me to it!


Tulip Magnolia

To see other OHC entries, click here.

It is not too late to start you Bird List for Tweet and See for the month of March.  On the last day of the month, write your post about your bird list and come visit and hook up with Mr. Linky.  This month has come in like a lion in my personal life, so I am sure all of you will beat me this month, so far, I only have 16 types of birds (I am hanging my head in shame).  I hope to rally the troops this next week and go birdwatching.  We have had so much rain this month is has also been hard to get out.

P.S.-  New GIVEAWAY starting on Tweet and See day!

Heather

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know that tree is a tulip magnolia. I've been wondering bc our WalMart is landscaped with them. Beautiful.

    We only have about 10 birds on our tweet and see, so it will not be our stellar month, unless we get a chance to go bird watching one day. We have been watching our feeders regularly as part of our science fair project, but not many come to it. May I link in last month's post and this month's? I didn't get to post Feb.'s until a week into March bc of no computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tulip magnolia. I've gone to the garden in town where it is abundant, and it has not been warm enough yet to bloom. Lots of buds. Anticipation is mounting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did a year-long study of our sweet gum a few years ago and it is a great tree to watch because it does have so many interesting aspects.

    We have been diligently recording our birds....we are having a fantastic month as far as variety so I will share at the end of the month. Thrilled that there are some new birds on the list!

    Thanks for sharing your link with the OHC...sorry about the confusion in subjects for you but just go ahead and post this one when the tree study comes up in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... spring is so refreshing. Love the magnolia. The drawing are cute!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails